Thursday, July 30, 2009

Welcome to Dee's Delectables!

In case you hadn't realized yet... I love to create good, healthy food. I am inspired by a healthy lifestyle and believe the old saying, "you are what you eat."


My philosophy for an absolutely delectable dish is simple really, and it begins with creativity. Creativity?! What if I don't have any of that?! Well, dig some up hunny and dig in, because your creativity will make your dishes better than you could have ever imagined.

Since educating myself on the real world issues surrounding food and its production process, I decided to become a vegetarian. On top of that, I became wheat and gluten free because I found that it made my previously severe migraines dissipate to almost nothing. Some may be lead to believe vegetarian food can never be as good as a good-old piece of meat, but I beg to differ... and I'm sure you will understand after you try some of these surprisingly simple, absolutely delectable dishes.

With that said, here is a healthy and delicious recipe to start you off with:

Potatoes with Creamy Cheese Sauce (vegan)

6 potatoes
3 tbs olive oil
5 tbs rice flour
2 1/2 cups unsweetened hemp milk
1 tbs tahini
4 tbs nutritional yeast
2 tsp minced onion
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbs rice vinegar
1 sprinkle of nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable broth

(to add a nice orange color use a decent amount of paprika)

1. Preheat your oven to 375
2. Wash you potatoes and cut them into bite size chunks. Place them in boiling water for about 15 minutes or until tender.
3. Start making that delicious non-cheese, cheese sauce by heating up your oil over medium heat. Use your whisk to add in the rice flour. Whisk until combined.
4. Add hemp milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly to ensure that your milk doesn't burn. Once the milk is brought to a boil, bring down to a simmer and let thicken.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and allow it to simmer to the desired thickness. I like to make sure my cheese sauce doesn't get too thick, especially if I am going to bake it or save it for the next day... it will thicken more overnight.
6. Place potatoes in a gratin dish and spoon some savory cheese sauce over the potatoes (enough to soak those delicious potatoes).
7. Bake for 20 minutes and voala!

Here is a side dish that will always be remembered... especially by your thankful vegan friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment