Monday, August 3, 2009

No-Chicken Noodle Soup

Usually when I wake up in the morning, I feel, well, honestly just ready for a hot cup of coffee. But this morning was different. I woke up with a frown on my face, a runny nose, a sore throat, and a terrible migraine. I'm sick. The common cold has interfered with my beautiful day, and now it's time to make some No-Chicken Noodle Soup.

Ingredients:
6 cups vegetable broth (I use low-sodium vege bullion)
1 package extra firm tofu- cubed
4 garlic cloves- diced
1 tsp cumin
2 stalks celery- sliced
2 large carrots- sliced
1 white or yellow onion- chopped
5 tbs nutritional yeast
1 pinch red chile pepper flakes
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 pinch chili pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tsp salt- to taste
pepper- to taste
3 oz gluten free Mai Fun noodles (Chinese rice noodles)- or whatever kind of noodles you prefer

Directions:
1. Bring broth and tofu to a boil
2. Add carrots and celery
3. Add all other ingredients and bring to a simmer
4. Simmer until carrots soften to your liking (I let mine simmer for about 20 minutes)
5. If using Mai Fun noodles, soak in water for 10 minutes until softened
6. Toss noodles in with soup and simmer for another 10 minutes
7. Enjoy!

Photo via katieanna.typepad.com

No comments:

Post a Comment